There are no vaccines required to enter the United States as a tourist, but with an F-1 visa, you will have to present evidence that you have received the immunizations the U.S. requires for immigrants. Most of these are probably immunizations required in your home country. After you have activated your Battler Account, you will be sent an email from Med-Proctor that will include all forms, you will need for the medical portion of your enrollment.

F visa holders are required to have the following immunizations:

  1. PPD (this is the skin test for tuberculosis). You must have this within six months of entering the U.S. If you come from an area where tuberculosis is common, AB may require a repeat test.
  2. MMR (one shot for mumps, measles, and rubella)
  3. IPV or OPV (prevents Polio)
  4. Varicella (chicken pox)
  5. Hepatitis B is required, but we also recommend Hepatitis A. This is a series of
    immunizations, so start early.
  6. DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus). You must be vaccinated against this within the last 10 years.
  7. Meningococcal is required to live in campus housing, but is highly recommended for everyone.


  1. HPV for females (protects against the human papilloma virus)
  2. Seasonal influenza

Health Document

After you have activated your Battler Account, you will be sent an email from Med-
Proctor that will include all forms you will need for the medical portion of your

Note about prescriptions: Many medications that are available in other countries are only available in the United States when prescribed by an American physician. Many more go by different trade names. Please ask your doctor or pharmacist to translate all of your medications into English. If you are bringing medications with you, be sure they are clearly marked. We will help you find a local physician to write new prescriptions here.

Mandatory Health Insurance: Health care in the United States is very expensive. As a result, all students in the United States are required to have health insurance. International students are not eligible to purchase plans through the federal marketplace (also known as Obamacare). You must provide Alderson Broaddus with a health insurance policy that will cover you in the United States. If your parents’ coverage will cover you while studying in the U.S., we will need proof of that coverage. That is not the usual case, so you will most likely need to purchase coverage from a company who does business, in the U.S.

Alderson Broaddus University does not require you to use any particular provider for health and medical insurance. The only requirement is that athletes have coverage for athletic injury. Although we do not officially endorse these companies, you might want to compare premiums and coverage with the following:

Meet your International Student Coordinator