After You Have Been Accepted

Your Name on Documents

Materials for applicants are filed alphabetically under the family name (surname), as indicated by the applicant on the application form. The family name on the application should be the same name as on your passport. It is important that you use the same name and spelling on all forms, documents, and correspondence. Any changes or variations in names on academic records need to be carefully explained by a cover letter and accompanied by a copy of the identification page of your passport. Variations may also cause needless delays in the acceptance process.

All international students applying for admission to any college or university in the United States must hold valid passports and entry visas. Upon your acceptance and receipt of all documents, Alderson Broaddus will issue Form I-20 (a certificate of eligibility). This form is required before application can be made to obtain a student visa.

After the I-20 is made, we will contact you about housing, distance registration, meal plans, and your Battler account. Check out this AB link

Obtaining a Form I-20:

  1. Be accepted as a student at Alderson Broaddus University. See admission requirements.
  2. Demonstrate that you will have the necessary finances. All international students will need to complete the Affidavit of Support linked here. (Statement of Support_2020-2021). International students do not qualify for United States financial aid; however, you also need to waive FAFSA. (FAFSA Waiver). Many countries provide free college education. Unfortunately, the United States is not one of them. Finances will be discussed more on the Financial Information page.
  3. Supply a copy of your passport. You must provide Alderson Broaddus University a copy of the face page of your passport and any existing visas so that we can be sure the name on the I-20 and the passport is the same.
  4. Pay your enrollment and international fee. The international fee of $100 is a one-time non-refundable fee to cover expenses relating to creating your SEVIS documents and mailing costs. The $200 enrollment fee holds your place as a student. This can be refunded under some circumstances. Other fees will be required for students from some countries or when transferring in with a SEVIS record in terminated status.
  5. Obtaining your Documents. You must have original documents to take to the Embassy and show to ICE at our borders. You may be required to pay for the shipping under certain circumstances. While we could work with email during the acceptance process, you will need original documents when you go to the Embassy. (Express Shipping of I-20)

Obtaining your visa:

It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the United States consulate or embassy in his/her country for an F-1 non-immigrant student visa. Currently, AB does not offer the J-visa. Obtaining a visa will require a personal appearance before an American consular officer in the home country. You should make an appointment and be sure to understand what documents you will need to take with you for the appointment.

Make an appointment for an interview. Do not just show up!

Pay your SEVIS fee in advance! Click here for payment information. Print the I-901 receipt. Here are some tips on obtaining a visa.

What to take with you to the Embassy:

  • I-901 receipt showing you have paid your SEVIS fee
  • Original signed I-20 issued by Alderson Broaddus
  • Statement of Support, including all supporting documents. Your scholarship offer, if you have one, will be included in your admissions packet
  • Valid passport
  • Acceptance letter from AB
  • Birth certificate

Be sure to make an appointment as early as possible with the US Embassy or Consulate. We do not allow students to enroll more than two days after the program start date. Your consulate may also require you to bring other forms of identity. Please note that you should see the American consulate as soon as you have your documents.

Students admitted to the United States with an F-1 non-immigrant student visa are required to be enrolled as full-time students and carry a minimum course load of twelve credit hours during regular semesters. F-1 students will also be required to complete their educational program within the period indicated on form I-20. To earn a bachelor’s degree, students must successfully complete a minimum of 120 credit hours.

Documentation Required for Entry Into the United States

Upon arrival at the U.S. Point of Entry, you must present the following:

  • A Form I-20, signed by a designated official of Alderson Broaddus University.
  • A valid visa containing the SEVIS ID and Alderson Broaddus University (unless you are visa-exempt)
  • Financial documentation as evidence of ability to pay tuition and living expenses. A copy of your Statement of Support works for this.
  • A valid passport
  • Proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee. Be sure you have the receipt.

You must furnish the above documentation during the Point of Entry inspection. U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the Point of Entry (POE) sometimes take non-immigrants aside for further inspection. This is referred to as a secondary inspection. DO NOT interpret this as a problem, unless the border official says so. It may just be a case of a long line or an official not yet trained in student visas.

Students from Canada or Bermuda do not need a visa to enter the United States in non-immigrant status, but you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. Be sure to check with your consulate to be sure you are visa-exempt! Have these documents ready at your Point of Entry. You should have these documents with you at the border:

  • Apply directly at the point of entry for a determination of eligibility to enter the United States
  • Valid I-20
  • Valid Passport
  • Statement of Support
  • I-901 receipt or pay it at the border

Students who are members of indigenous groups, including Native Americans and First Nations. If you hold a card or certification that you are a member of a tribe, you do not need an I-20, visa, or to pay the I-901 fee. You may simply cross the border at will.

Meet your International Student Coordinator

Jill Nussel

International Student Coordinator/Designated School Official
Jill Nussel

International Student Coordinator/Designated School Official

(304) 457-6296

College/University Attended and year graduated:
University of Toledo: BA 1992; MA 2001; Ph.D. 2006

BA in Journalism
MA and Ph.D. in History

My favorite thing about ABU is:
Everybody here is so friendly and ready to help.

My favorite spot on campus is:
The Quad between Burbick Hall and the Hamer Student Center. It’s always full of students either rushing on their way or having fun with all sorts of activities.

My best piece of advice to a student in the college search process is:
My job is to help International Students get through the maze of regulations and feel comfortable at a school sometimes half way around the world. My advice is for International Students to decide early and get documents completed several months before your embassy appointment.

My favorite meal in the dining hall is:
The salad bar is always fresh and nutritious…but I like the pizza, too.

Dr. Jill Nussel is the Alderson Broaddus International Student Coordinator. She has over 15 years of experience teaching and working with international students at the college level. Dr. Nussel is the SEVIS Designated School Official (DSO) you will see most often. Contact Dr. Nussel any time you have a question about your immigration status, if you plan a trip outside the United States, apply for internships, or if you plan to look for work.

Dr. Nussel’s office is in Burbick Hall #129 in the Admissions Office on the first floor.