Resume Writing Assistance
Career Services offers assistance in writing resumes for employment, internships, or summer jobs. You can also get your resume critiqued or proofread.
Developing a Resume
Your resume often is the first contact an employer has with you and can make the difference between your getting an interview or not. It’s important that you take the time to develop it so that it represents your qualifications for the position you are applying for. You want to be brief and succinct in describing your qualifications for the position. You want to think about the abilities, skills, and personal qualities you have that make you an excellent fit for the position.
You want to use words that demonstrate your accomplishments and experience related to the position.
Your resume should include:
- Professional involvements with on and off-campus organizations
- Experiences you have had such as internships, clinical experience, etc. that show that you have had hands-on involvement in your profession
- Extracurricular activities that have given you leadership experience, skills in working as part of a team or with a particular population
- Involvement with campus organizations, on and off-campus volunteer activities
- Opportunities to observe or shadow a professional in your field, etc.
- Summer jobs that show skills related to your major or demonstrate leadership opportunities or other skills that you possess
A sample resume template is included on this page. You can change the categories to fit your needs and add new ones as well.
Writing Cover Letters
A cover letter should always accompany any resume you send out; even one sent electronically. It briefly details your interest and qualifications for a position. It does not repeat all the details of your resume but summarizes those skills you feel best meet the requirements of the position you are applying for.