Alderson Broaddus University Department of Nursing offers an innovative opportunity for practicing registered nurses to earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in nursing without sacrificing work and family responsibilities. Designed to meet the needs of the RN with an associate degree or diploma in nursing, the RN to BSN Online Program offers the following program benefits:
- Complete the bachelor’s degree in nursing in approximately 18 months of full-time study.
- Convert significant life experience into college credits by documenting past education, training, work-related projects, and past learning.
- Attend class in an asynchronous format each week, thus minimizing interference with work schedules and family responsibilities.
- 8-week courses
- Select nursing credits may be transferable
- No campus visit required
- No hospital clinical required
- Part or full-time
- Rotating admission: January and July
- $295.00 per credit hour + books
- Gain satisfaction from fulfilling an educational goal.
- Improve communication and other management skills and strengthen your position in the job market.
Graduates from Alderson Broaddus University’s RN-BSN Online Program are required to complete 120 credits which include credit requirements in nursing and the liberal studies program.
RN-BSN Course Dates:
Classes begin in August and January.
How to Apply
Each applicant will be required to provide:
- Current unencumbered license as a registered professional nurse.
- Graduate from an approved associate degree or diploma program in nursing
- Transcript from all prior academic work
- Certified Background Check & Drug Screen through castlebranch.com
Policy II.T. Students with Disabilities Admission & Progression
The Alderson Broaddus University Department of Nursing complies with the University’s admission and progression policy in response to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Students admitted to the nursing major are expected to be able to complete curriculum requirements which include physical, cognitive, and behavioral skills that are essential to the function of the entry-level professional nurse. Reasonable accommodations will be made in order that nursing students with disabilities can successfully complete the nursing program; however, the successful candidate for graduation is expected to perform in a reasonably independent manner.
Application Process Overview
- Minimum GPA: 2.5 from RN/ADN program
- No age requirement
- Certified Background Check
Additional healthcare requirements needed – see AB Nursing and Policy Procedure Manual
Progression Within the Nursing Major
Once a student enters the nursing major, progression within that student’s nursing course sequence depends upon the student being able to maintain the following:
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A progression grade of 78% or higher on testing in all nursing courses
This program requires 120 credits for graduation with 24 credits in nursing from Alderson Broaddus University. Students are required to complete all graduation requirements for a bachelor’s degree as specified in the Alderson Broaddus University Catalog. Upon completion of 10 credits at Alderson Broaddus University in the nursing major and a grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), the student may receive 40 hours of credit toward the required 120 credits necessary for graduation. These credits are determined by evaluating the nursing courses completed at the previous institution and granting escrow credits for these courses as if they had been taken at Alderson Broaddus University.
Computer Technology Recommendations
Access and use of computer technology is required. To help students with their academics and to facilitate communication, the following computer technology recommendations are made:
- Vista SP2 or above, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- To install programs, you must have an Administrator-level login on the computer
- 1.5 – 3.0 mps (Mega Bits per Second) this is low-end DSL connection. Anything lower will prevent successful support using remote support software and downloading updates to programs.
- Browsers: Firefox, Google Chrome, IE, latest versions. Firefox recommended.
- CPU: 2.0 Ghz Dual Core
- RAM: 2GB
- Hard Disk: 5 GB free space on hard disk
- Display: monitor with (1024×768) resolution and 65,536 (16 bit) colors or better
- Recommended: SXGA (1280×1024) or higher with true color (32 bit)
RN-BSN Program Online
Alderson Broaddus University’s Department of Nursing developed the Online RN-BSN Degree Completion Program to meet the needs of registered nurses who have an associate degree or diploma in nursing. If you are interested in obtaining a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing without sacrificing work and family responsibilities, this program is for you. Our innovative format will allow you to earn your bachelor’s degree in a way that fits your schedule, permitting you to take classes night or day. You will earn a bachelor’s degree in nursing designed to meet your career goals and to allow you to be a more effective leader.
A History of Excellence
For 140 years, Alderson Broaddus University has been providing a quality education for its students. The mission of Alderson Broaddus University is to provide our students with the highest quality education, striving to prepare students to succeed in their chosen disciplines and to fulfill their roles in a diverse society as wellrounded and responsible citizens. At AB, your professors will be men and women of high academic and moral standing, who are committed to making a difference in the lives of the students they serve, as well as, the advancement of their profession.
What can you do with a BSN?
As a graduate of the AB nursing program, you will be prepared as a generalist in nursing, qualified to provide leadership in a variety of settings such as community health, general hospital care, emergency care, and intensive care. The high quality of nurses graduating from Alderson Broaddus University relates directly to the fine caliber of students who enter the program and to the personal commitment of the nursing faculty as well as the excellence of the total college curriculum. At AB your liberal studies core requirements will strengthen your general knowledge, improve your learning skills, and give you more confidence to advance in your profession.
Upon graduation, you will receive a BSN degree. If you choose to pursue graduate education, you can advance in nursing leadership roles such as nurse practitioner, clinician, educator, administrator, or researcher. With a baccalaureate degree in nursing from Alderson Broaddus University, you will join the professionals dedicated to excellence in health care. At AB you can prepare to make a difference.
Tuition & Fee Schedule
Cost per credit for the RN to BSN Program is $295 per credit hour plus textbooks. Plus the fee for a certified background that includes a background check and drug screen (approximately $120).
Tuition is due at registration prior to the first class session; second and third semester payments are due on or before registration at the last class session of the prior semester.
Tuition charges are based on the number of college-sponsored semester hours attempted. These rates apply to full-time and part-time students.
Nelnet Budget Plan – For those who desire to pay their educational expenses on a monthly basis, the University will accept the Nelnet Budget Plan provided by Nelnet Business Solutions. An information pamphlet is available upon request.
Employer Reimbursement Plan – If your employer will reimburse tuition costs upon successful completion of each semester, you are still responsible for payment at registration.
Visa and MasterCard – are accepted for payment of tuition and fees.
Financial Aid Checklist
- Fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for the year in which you are seeking admission. File your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1st to be eligible for maximum financial aid. Some funds are limited and are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. The priority deadline is March 1st. However, it is not too late to receive financial aid should you complete your FAFSA after the priority deadline. However, to be eligible for the maximum amount of financial aid, you must file before March 1st. The FAFSA is the application for all financial aid at Alderson Broaddus University. Go to fafsa.ed.gov to apply. AB’s school code is 003806. You do not have to be accepted to your program of study before you complete the FAFSA.
- To complete and sign your FAFSA on-line as well as complete steps 6 and 7, you must have a PIN number. You can go to pin.ed.gov to register for your PIN number. This PIN will allow you to access all your federal information on-line.
- Once you have filled out the FAFSA and have been accepted to your program, the financial aid office will send you a financial aid award letter that lists all financial aid you qualify for through the college.
- Sign and return one copy of every award letter that is sent to you to the financial aid office. You may accept, decline, or reduce any items of financial aid. Once we have received your signed financial aid award letter, the financial aid office will be able to start processing your financial aid.
- Some applicants will be chosen by the federal government for the verification process. If you are selected, we will notify you, and you must complete the verification worksheet and submit it along with the required documentation requested. We cannot apply any financial aid to your account until you fully complete the verification process.
- All applicants accepting federal Stafford loans must complete an entrance counseling interview. You may go to studentloans.gov and click on Entrance Counseling to complete the required counseling. Be sure to list Alderson Broaddus as the college you are attending.
- All applicants accepting federal Stafford loans must also complete a master promissory note. Go to studentloans.gov to complete a new MPN (master promissory note) for student loans. Follow the steps and be sure to list Alderson Broaddus as the college you are attending.
- You must apply for financial aid each year.
RN-BSN Program – Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree
|Course Number||Credit Hours||Course Name
|____||NRSG||405||3||Transition to Profession Baccalaureate Nursing Practice|
|____||NRSG||435||3||Nurse as Manager|
|____||NRSG||445||3||Nursing Professional Development|
|____||NRSG||455||3||Community Mental Health Nursing|
|____||NRSG||465||3||Community as Client|
|____||NRSG||475||3||Excellence in Nursing|
Foreign language: Not Required.
Liberal Studies Program: As outlined on the appropriate Liberal Studies Check Sheet.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION: The student must earn a grade of C or higher in all required nursing and support courses and at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA. Nursing courses require a grade of C or higher in each course.