AB Connect is Alderson Broaddus University’s First Year Experience (FYE) program. AB Connect is a comprehensive program that addresses the needs of first-year college students as they face the challenges that come with transitioning to a new environment.
AB Connect consists of five elements:
- AB Connect to AB University through Orientation. Orientation provides multiple opportunities for new students to meet and interact with others, beginning the social and academic integration processes. Orientation is four days in August right before classes begin.
- AB Connect to Academics through a college success class that provides first-year students with an understanding of the tools for making a successful transition from high school to college; to ensure that they become active, responsible members of the community; to help them acquire basic academic survival skills; and to help them develop into self-motivated, life-long learners. Cover three areas: Life Skills, Learning Skills, and Relationship Skills.
- AB Connect to each other through an off-campus excursion. The off-campus excursion provides a unique learning environment – the great outdoors – to connect to new students and energize them into action, unlike any other experience. It’s a setting where each student can discover his potential, learn to work together as a team, and prepare to face real-world challenges. Activities may include hiking, white-water rafting, and rock climbing.
- AB Connect to upperclassmen through Connection Leaders. Connection Leaders are upperclassmen who will meet with students in small groups during Orientation and continue meeting with them throughout their first year. Connection Leaders offer motivation, guidance, knowledge of resource, and support to assist with new student success.
- AB Connect to Advisor through advising. Each student is assigned an advisor that will assist students with all aspects of their academic planning.