<< Back to ABU Financial Aid Office main page

Early Financial Aid Estimator

Please submit for the
2016-17 Academic Year.


*** If you are wanting financial aid information for the 2015-16 Academic Year, do NOT complete this form.  Rather, submit your FAFSA by going to fafsa.gov and completing the 2015-16 FAFSA application.  Be sure to include AB #003806 on your school list. ***

This estimator is designed to give you an early indication of how much and what types of financial aid you might qualify for if you were a first-year student attending school full-time in the academic year indicated. The Financial Aid Estimator is designed for United States citizens or permanent residents who are unmarried, have no dependents, are under 25, and are dependent on their parents for support. If you don’t meet these criteria, please call us at (304) 457-6354 or email us at fa@ab.edu for more information.
In using this estimator, please remember:

•    Before completing the estimator, it will be helpful to have recent tax forms or pay stubs available.  You will need to answer some basic questions about your parents’ financial situation.  Remember, the results of the estimator will only be as reliable as the data you provide.  

•    This tool is designed to provide you an estimate of your aid eligibility. The financial aid office will provide an official financial aid award once you are admitted to AB and you have completed your FAFSA.

•    This is not an application for admission or financial aid.
All fields on the online form are required. If you do not know the information for a certain question, please fill in the box with “N/A”

You are eligible to submit your FAFSA beginning January 1 of your senior year in high school. Your FAFSA, along with your acceptance to Alderson Broaddus University, will result in a financial aid package being prepared just for you.
However, if you are not yet eligible to submit your FAFSA or have not done so yet, completing this Early Estimator will allow the financial aid office to calculate an ESTIMATE of your financial aid eligibility.
Obtaining a financial aid estimate via the Early Estimator is as easy as 1..2..3
We need your EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) index.  You can obtain your EFC by one of two methods:
1.    If you are eligible to complete your FAFSA (after January 1st of your senior year in high school), you may complete your FAFSA and you will receive your EFC once completed.
-------  OR ---------
2.    If you are not eligible, or are not ready to complete your FAFSA, then complete the following steps to obtain an estimated EFC number:
Using the US Department of Education FAFSA4caster tool, determine your estimated Estimate Family Contribution (EFC). Be sure to scroll down to locate the FAFSA4caster tool on the right. To determine your EFC, follow these easy steps:
• Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
• Click on FAFSA4caster (Right hand side under “Thinking About College?”)
• Complete the STUDENT INFORMATION and PARENT INFORMATION sections and then click Submit.
Pay careful attention to the “Help and Hint” box appearing on the right for each question
as it is important to provide complete and accurate information.
• On the second page (“The College Cost Worksheet”), it is NOT necessary to complete any information to obtain your EFC. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and click Calculate.
• Your EFC will be shown about two-thirds of the page down and will appear as such: Your estimated EFC is xxxxx

Answer the questionnaire below. If a question doesn't apply to you, please enter N/A as your answer:

Submit your information to the Financial Aid Office at Alderson Broaddus to obtain your estimate of financial aid. You will receive your estimate of financial aid from your admissions counselor or coach within the next few weeks.


Based on 4.0 scale

Completion Statement

By completing and submitting this form, I acknowledge that the information provided is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I also understand that the results I receive from submitting this form are an estimate and that official awards are made only for admitted students after a processed 2013-2014 FAFSA is received by the Alderson-Broaddus Financial Aid Office.


Use the drop down arrow to choose the admissions counselor, coach or director you've spoken with about attending Alderson Broaddus University


If you have questions about applying to Alderson Broaddus University, please contact the Admissions Office. If you have questions about financial aid status, please call the Office of Financial Aid. Both offices can be reached at (800) 263-1549.



If your parents are married, provide information about both parents.
If your parent is widowed or single, provide information about that parent.
If your parents have divorced or separated, provide information about the parent that you lived with most during the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, provide information about the parent who provided most of your financial support during the last 12 months.
If your parent has remarried after being widowed or divorced, provide information about both your parent and your step parent.


(May be anticipated date of graduation)



$ .00

Investments include real estate (do not include the home you live in),
trust funds, UGMA and UTMA accounts, money market funds, mutual funds,
certificates of deposit, stocks, stock options, bonds, other securities,
installment and land sale contracts (including mortgages held), commodities,

Investments also include qualified educational benefits or education savings
accounts (e.g., Coverdell savings accounts, 529 college savings plans and the
refund value of 529 prepaid tuition plans). For a student who does not report
parental information, the accounts owned by the student (and/or the student’s
spouse) are reported as student investments. For a student who
must report parental information, the accounts are reported as parental
investments including all accounts owned by the student and all
accounts owned by the parents for any member of the household.

Investments do not include the home you live in, the value of life insurance,
retirement plans (401[k] plans, pension funds, annuities, non-education IRAs,
Keogh plans, etc.) or cash, savings and checking accounts already reported.

Investments also do not
UGMA and UTMA accounts for
which you are the custodian, but not the owner.

Investment value means the
current balance or market value of these investments as of today. Investment
debt means only those debts that are related to the investments.


Business and/or investment
farm value includes
the market value
of land, buildings, machinery, equipment, inventory, etc. Business and/or
investment farm debt means only those debts for which the business or investment
farm was used as collateral.

Business value does not
the value of a small business
if your family owns and controls more than 50 percent of the business and the
business has 100 or fewer full-time or full-time equivalent employees. For small
business value, your family includes (1) persons directly related to you, such
as a parent, sister or cousin, or (2) persons who are or were related to you by
marriage, such as a spouse, stepparent or sister-in-law.

Investment farm value does
not include
the value of a family farm
that you (your spouse and/or your parents) live on and operate.


Payments to tax-deferred pension and savings plans (paid
directly or withheld from earnings. IRA deductions and payments to
self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, Keogh and other qualified plans. Child
support received for any of your parents’ children.  (Don't include
foster care or adoption payments). Tax exempt interest income. Untaxed
portions of IRA distributions.  (Exclude rollovers) Untaxed portions of
pensions.  (Exclude rollovers) Housing, food and other living allowances
paid to members of the military, clergy and others (including cash
payments and cash value of benefits). Don’t include the
value of on-base military housing or the value of a basic military
allowance for housing. Veterans noneducation benefits, such as
Disability, Death Pension, or Dependency & Indemnity Compensation
(DIC) and/or VA Educational Work-Study allowances.Other untaxed
income such as workers’ compensation, disability, etc. Also include the
first-time homebuyer tax credit.  D
on’t include student
aid, earned income credit, additional child tax credit, welfare
payments, untaxed Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security
Income, Workforce Investment Act educational benefits, on-base military
housing or a m
housing allowance, combat pay, benefits from flexible spending
arrangements (e.g., cafeteria plans), foreign income exclusion or credit
for federal tax on special fuels. 


Provide year born for parent(s) - see above parental information as to whose birth year to include (Father/Stepfather, Mother/Stepmother)


While you are in college, how many people in your parent's household will be college students? (Include yourself)